By Duane Good EDITOR
MILLERSBURG - Changes to the borough’s riverfront area are moving forward.
Final plans for what is known as the Riverfront Park: Gateway to the Lykens Valley Rail Trail project now are available for viewing at Millersburg Borough’s official website: www.millersburgpa.org
Construction bids are tentatively scheduled to be awarded at council’s Wednesday, Aug. 10 meeting, according to an announcement issued by the borough last week.
Groundbreaking for the project is tentatively scheduled for later this summer, according to council President Christopher Dietz.
As outlined in the plans, the project will include:
- a hiking/biking pathway which would stretch the entire length of the 3.8- acre park.
- a ‘‘gateway” to the planned Lykens Valley Rail Trail project at the Millersburg Ferry docking area at the intersection of North and River streets, including construction of a concrete ramp at the dock;
- a restroom/concession building north of the ferry dock, which would offer boat, bicycle and fishing equipment rentals;
- additional paved parking in and around the park;
- and additional trash and recycling bins, new signs and a conduit for lighting and sound systems.
The project is the first phase of a master plan to upgrade Millersburg’s existing park system. It also is part of the initial phase of the rail trail project, which proposes a system of trails between Millersburg and Tower City.
In a Token of Appreciation published on Page A9-10-11-12 (to be confirmed) in this week’s Sentinel, Dietz said sponsorship opportunities are available for several components of the park, including benches, swing, bicycle racks, refuse receptacles and coin-operated binoculars for viewing the Susquehanna River.
Sponsorships can be made by residents, organizations, or businesses in the Millersburg area community. All sponsorships are tax-deductible. Images of the items are available at the borough office and on the borough website.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Final plans for the project, as well as images of items available for sponsorship, are available for viewing at: www.millersburgpa.org